The amended settlement attempts to address a number of the objections raised regarding antitrust issues, international copyright ownership, pricing, and access to out-of-print and/or orphaned works. It also has provisions for Open Access options for rightsholders, such as the option to put a Creative Commons license on your work. There do not seem to be any amendments to address reader privacy concerns, at least not directly.
No dates for filing objections or a fairness hearing have been set, but the parties have requested the following:
- December 14 – Supplemental Notice commences.
- January 28 – Class member Opt outs are due.
- February 4 – DOJ comment on settlement is due.
- February 11 – Plaintiffs’ motion for final settlement approval is due.
- February 18 – Final fairness hearing occurs.
Update: Judge Chin has granted preliminary approval to the amended settlement and agreed to hold the fairness hearing on February 18, 2010.
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.